There were multiple hair salons around the marketplace. Apparently Saturday is the day for hairdressing. We got an impromptu lesson on African hair braiding from a very nice hairdresser. And we answered many questions from her about haircare for mzungus! She seemed amazed that we have to wash our hair several times a week and that we never put oil in our hair. She declined a request to braid our hair stating that it was too thin and wouldn't hold well. This entire 15 minute exchange occurred while she was braiding a girl's hair. She allowed us to take pictures of the hair but really only wanted us to see the finished product, which she said would take another 30 minutes. Unfortunately, we didn't make it back there to see it.
We bought some produce from the produce stands. The fruits and vegetables are so cheap and so fresh. Mangos and avocados are especially cheap and really delicious here. I found an explanation of some of the typical Kenyan foods that I thought I would share to explain what I eat on a regular basis in addition to the fresh fruits.
Ugali - I didn't have ugali until I went to Nakuru last week, but it is definitely a Kenyan favorite and staple part of the diet. It is a semi-hard cake made of maize (corn) flour or millet flour. I don't know what everyone has been raving about, it was very bland. Apparently if you ask patients at the hospital, they will say they haven't eaten in days despite the hospital food they're provided because they have not had any ugali. And I was told by one of the ICU nurses that only real Kenyan women cook and eat ugali. So I guess I'm not authentically Kenyan, then, because I don't desire to cook or eat any more ugali.
Sukuma Wiki - a vegetable stew made of leafy green vegetables, mainly collards or kale. It is served with many Kenyan meals. The word ´sukuma wiki´ means ´to stretch the week,´ implying that sukuma wiki is a food used to stretch the meals to last for the entire week.
Chapati - a round, flat unleavened bread cooked on a griddle to a soft brown color. It is often served with meat stew and vegetables. I asked the lady in charge of the guest house to give me and one of the guest house cooks a lesson in preparing chapati. It is really good and I enjoy eating it with many different dishes.
Pilau - rice flavored with Indian spices. It is a common dish served during Kenyan parties, celebrations and festive seasons. I've only had it once or twice, but it is more flavorful than the white rice that is typically served with meals. Rice is definitely a staple in the diet and eaten all the time.
Irio - potatoes mashed with beans and peas or maize and pumpkin leaves, then sautéed with onions and served with either beef stew or vegetables. I had irio last week at a restaurant in Nakuru. I actually liked it; it was definitely much better than the ugali.
Maandazi - deep fried dough (similar to doughnuts- or funnel cakes without the powdered sugar) served for breakfast with tea or coffee, late afternoon snack with tea, or anytime really. We have maandazis with chai before rounds at least once a week at the hospital.
Samosa - a deep-fried, square-shaped, meat-filled dough that is served as a snack or appetizer. We were discussing whether or not one of the Kenyan doctors would make samosas for us; one girl recommended putting apples, sugar, and cinnamon inside instead of the meat. She wanted to make a dessert samosa, then realized that McDonalds had already claimed that idea in the fried apple pie!
Uji - porridge traditionally made from fermented millet, corn flour mix or a mixture of millet flour, maize meal and powdered milk. Because of its high nutritional value, uji is a popular drink prepared for infants, adolescents, nursing mothers and those who are sick. See below for a woman actually selling cups of uji during market day.
| Market stall in Bomet. All the produce is fresh and delicious. I bought a large avocado for 10 shillings (12 cents)! |
| The butcher's shop with a fresh leg of something hanging in the back. |
| There were several fabric and textile stores. |
| Dried minnows. I'm not sure who eats these delicacies, but I also saw them being sold in Kilgoris. One of the missionaries bought some for her cat, but even the cat refused to eat them! |
| The grocery store has good ice cream (by Kenyan standards). It alse has an entire section devoted to thermoses for keeping chai (tea) warm. |